The Western Lacrosse Association (WLA) is seeking applications to fill the position of Commissioner. The successful candidate will be responsible for the administration and management of WLA business on- and off-floor as laid out in the League Operating Policy. These duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Applying policy, and making decisions on urgent matters where policy does not apply.
- Ruling on matters related to WLA business and conduct of players, executives, or officials.
- Ruling on disciplinary requirements pertaining to the play of the game, using video review where necessary.
- Drafting and presenting the league’s schedules for regular season, semi-finals, and finals.
- Manage the employment of the League Statistician, Supervisor of Officials, Supervisor of League Statisticians, Pointstreak Administrator, and Referee Allocator.
- Coordinate the work functions of the Assistant Commissioner or Game Commissioners.
- Attend or designate an Assistant Commissioner or Game Commissioner to be present at all regular season and playoff games.
- Coordinate special functions (e.g.: player draft, award dinners, etc.) in association with the Executive Director, Director of Media, and Director of Sponsorship.
- Attend all British Columbia Lacrosse Association (BCLA) Senior Directorate meetings.
- Administer the registration of players in the WLA with the BCLA.
- Coordinate, with the Executive Director, all necessary league and playoff transportation.
- Preside at meetings of the General Managers to ensure the orderly operation of the Policy, Rules and Guidelines.
- Review with the General Managers the monthly evaluation reports provided by the Supervisor of Officials.
- Oversee all inter-Provincial transfers.
- Ensure that at least one official WLA scorekeeper be present at all games.
- Supervise all league statisticians / scorekeepers.
- Supervise or delegate supervision of all referees and officials.
- Other duties as required by the Board Governors.
The successful candidate will have a background in high-level leadership or human resources, experience coordinating personnel and transportation, and strong written and verbal communication skills. The Commissioner is a contract position reporting to the WLA Board of Governors, and is compensated by stipend at the conclusion of the season. The stipend will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
The WLA is a senior men’s box lacrosse league consisting of 7 teams from the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island of BC. Founded in 1932, each year the teams play for the right to compete against the Ontario Lacrosse Association champion for the Mann Cup.
If you are looking for an exciting senior leadership role, and are interested in growing the game of lacrosse, “the fastest game on two feet”, please forward your resume and cover letter no later than 12pm on Tuesday, April 28th, 2015 to email@example.com, with the subject line WLA Commissioner. We thank everyone for their submissions, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.